Saturday, June 29, 2013

Ride to, and swim in Lake Cleveland

 This morning I got up at 5:30am and rode from Albion City Park to Mt. Harrison with my Uncle, Rob Boyd.  I asked Rob to go with me about three years ago and he was in to mountain biking and road biking.  It was tough for him.  However this past year he got into triathlons and got himself a sweet road bike.  Needless to say he's in much better shape than I am.
Panorama view from the first overlook

View of Lake Cleveland from the road winding up to Mt.
Harrison
A couple times he went at his own pace and left me in his dust.  We made it to the top in less than 3 hours.  We took some pics and talked to the wildfire spotter who was manning the outlook.  This is the first time out of my 5th year of riding up there that anyone has been up there.  Also it's the first time that there hasn't been huge snow drifts on the road near the top.  The road was clear of snow the whole way to the top.

Panorama from Mt. Harrison Outlook.
On the way back we stopped at Lake Cleveland which is less than two miles from the top.  I did one lap.  The water was 67°F!  I was expecting it to be in the 50s.  It was very refreshing.  I was wishing I could stay for a lot more, but we had to get back to the reunion.  It took me 20 minutes to do one lap and it's a half mile around the perimeter.

Just as I got on my bike to head down the rest of the way I noticed my back tire had a flat.  Good thing I packed a spare tube and CO2 cartridge.  About 10 minutes later I was back on my way down the hill.  It's crazy going down.  Got up to 45 mph, and the road is pretty rough.  One spill, and I'm dead.  So I tried to maintain my speed at around 30mph max.  So fun!  Hoping to do it again next year.
Me and Rob at Lake Cleveland.

Total Distance: .50 miles in 20 minutes

No comments: